Abstracts are accepted for poster submission. From those submissions, the Scientific Program Committee will select a limited number of abstracts for oral presentations.
Submissions are welcomed by anyone involved in BCI research. Student and post-doc contributions are particularly encouraged.
Poster submissions are invited in the following subject areas (themes):
- Signal analysis
- Signal acquisition
- BCI implant – control
- BCI implant – other
- BCI non-invasive – control
- BCI non-invasive – other
- User aspects: experience, ethics
Late Submission April 1 - 17, 2020
A limited number of poster spots depending on space availability will be available for late submission.
Abstract Submission Guidelines
- The submitter must be a BCI society member.
- Each submitter can submit only one scientific abstract as first author
- The first author will present the poster or oral presentation
- Abstract submitters need to declare their conflict of interest. The BCI Society requires authors to signify whether there may be a real or perceived conflict of interest. Any potential for financial gain that may be derived from reported work may constitute a potential conflict of interest. Financial contributions from commercial sponsors to the work being reported may be perceived as a potential conflict of interest and should be clearly acknowledged. It is the author’s responsibility to report any real or perceived financial conflict of interest during the abstract submission process.
Additional Consideration About Oral Presentations
Oral presentations will be assigned to one of several Research Sessions.
Format (including length) of oral presentation will be announced at a later date.
Abstract Submission Process
Submission of the abstract will be done via the BCI Society’s online abstract management system. First authors will need to register with the site and create a password to manage their submission.
Submitters will be asked to list all authors who contributed to the work discussed in the abstract, and in the correct order. Submitters will receive all correspondence regarding the abstract.
Abstracts should state concisely what was done and why, what was found, and the relevance.
When submitting the proposal in Conference Manager, submitters should prepare the following information:
- Abstract title: max 225, including spaces, character limit.
- Abstract template: Abstracts must conform to the determined format of a one-page abstract not exceeding 1 US letter page (margin top/bottom 2cm, left/right 2,5cm) with at most 1 figure. Figure and reference are included in the page limit. See template instructions below.
- Submitters will be asked to upload a one-page PDF abstract to facilitate the review process and publication in the abstract book. IMPORTANT: The PDF will be published in the abstract book as submitted in the abstract management platform. Please ensure that all information is correct and that the format is respected.
- Please ensure to name the PDF document as follows “Abstract.FirstName.LastName”
During the submission process, submitters should indicate if:
1/ They would like their abstract to be considered for an oral presentation
2/ They would like to apply for a Student Award
Instructions for Authors
Author1*, B. Author2, C. Author3
1Ecole Polytechique Fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland; 2Tsinghua University, Beijing, China; 3Wadsworth Center, Albany, NY, USA
*P.O. Box 1234, Lausanne, Switzerland. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction: Title, author names, and affiliations should be given as above. Indicate corresponding author with a * and provide mailing address and email according to the example above. Divide the manuscript into sections, i.e. Introduction, Material Methods and Results, Discussion, Significance, References and Acknowledgements as presented in this sample document. Additional headings may be used for clarity if necessary.
Material, Methods and Results: This section describes the format for figures and references.
Figures can span the whole page width or use a fraction of it (see Fig. 1). You should place the figures within the manuscript in the appropriate locations. All figures should be properly captioned (size 8pt) and numbered, and references made in the text should use this number, like in Fig. 1.
Figure 1. Figure legends should contain enough information to understand the illustration without referring to the text, but should be concise. Use 8 pt Times New Roman Italic font.
References are limited to pertinent published works or papers that have been accepted for publication. Results and findings not developed in the manuscript should be properly referenced, as in  or [2, 3, 4]. References should be placed in the appropriate section, at the end of the manuscript, numbered in the order of appearance in the manuscript. References should follow the format specified at the end of this template according to book chapter, journal articles, conference proceedings, or book publications.
Acknowledgements: The manuscript may include acknowledgements.
 Castor G, Simon J, Pilz A, Niedermark I, Klocke RK. The second derivation of the bioimpedance signal as index for successful systemic lysis of a coronary artery thrombus. In Proceedings of the 14th Annual International Conference of the IEEE/EMBS, 1746–1747, 1992.
 Anderson FA. Impedance plethysmography. In Webster JG (ed.). Encyclopedia of Medical Devices and Instrumentation. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1988.
 Malmivuo J, Plonsey R. Bioelectromagnetism: Principles and Application of Bioelectric and Biomagnetic Fields. Oxford University Press, New York, 1995.
 Kauppinen PK, Hyttinen JAK, Kööbi T, Malmivuo J. Multiple lead recordings improve accuracy of bio-impedance plethysmographic technique. Medical Engineering & Physics, 21(5): 371–375, 1999.
Abstract Submission Review
Abstracts will be peer reviewed by at least 3 reviewers from the Review Committee.
- Abstract submission opens: November 4, 2019
- Abstract submission closes: January 17, 2020
- Notification on poster and oral presentations: March, 2020
- Notification on Student Awards: March, 2020